Where to buy Satoshi Tomizu’s Work
So, you saw Space Glass on facebook. Or, maybe you spotted one of the viral videos with Satoshi Tomizu’s glass galaxies. Now, you want to buy one. But, if you’ve looked online, you’ve probably seen how hard they are to buy.
To save you some time, I’ve done the research for you.
If you’re here because of Satoshi, and only want to buy his work, here’s the guide: http://www.galaxyglasswork.com/buying-satoshi-tomizu-glass-art/
Here are some options if you’re interested in exploring other artists:
Where to Buy Other Types of Space Glass
Satoshi Tomizu is an amazing artist but he’s not alone in the universe. I’ll show you some other incredibly talented glass artists and some cheaper options.
First, there are a couple folks I’ve written about here on Galaxy Glasswork. These two are legitimate glass artists. They make beautiful pieces and have been around at least as long as Satoshi.
Andrew makes incredible memorial pieces using the ashes of a lost loved one. But, he also does a range of custom pieces, so you can get exactly what you want. His pieces are bright and beautiful. He uses silver and gold fuming along with the same opal encapsulation as Satoshi.
Sean does some of the most intensely stunning silver fuming I’ve ever seen. Silver fuming is a process of vaporizing pure silver onto glass. It creates beautiful multi-colored transparent cloud-like effect. If you’ve seen the pictures from the Hubble telescope, Sean’s space glass is as close as it gets. Sean has mastered squeezing a nebula into a marble.
Buying Space Glass on Etsy – When to be Cautious
The next best place to look is Etsy. There are a few legitimate sellers I’ve listed below. My favorite is JustGlassIt.
But BEWARE: there have been a flurry of space glass sellers popping up lately. Keep an eye out for bad glass. Sellers located in Hong Kong/China are almost all resellers of cheap glass. They buy from a single glass factory in China and mark up the price on Etsy. I suspect most of the reviews they have our fake. I’ve personally bought directly from this factory before. I found that approximately 75% of the items I’ve received are flawed. They either break easily, don’t look like their photos, or have major imperfections. They also sell these pieces for something like $10 or less in bulk, but mark them up to $30-$200 on Etsy.
Trusted Etsy Space Glass Makers
Instead buy from one of these sellers. I’ve verified each of them myself. They sell real handmade glass made by individual artists, not in a factory. Prices vary, but you can sometimes find a small piece for as little as $30-$40.
- JustGlassIt: My #1 recommendation. This is a very talented glassmaker in Bretagne, France. His pieces are gorgeous, and he’s a truly talented and passionate flameworker. His Etsy almost always has new pieces available.
- Yokota Pearls: This Japanese team is known as Soleggiato Posto. I believe they are from the same school as Satoshi Tomizu. Their work is the closest match to Satoshi that is currently available. Give them a look if you want an authentic piece of Space Glass.
- Yishai Dror: A talented Israeli glass artist. His pieces are unique, not a carbon copy of Satoshi’s work. He uses similar effects though. You’ll find opals and silver fuming in his work.
- Space Treasure: A Russian glassworker with a fresh style and lots of unique pieces available. Prices are fair and quality seems very high.
- Crisanti Glass: An American glassworker that does custom pieces. Space Glass isn’t their only focus. But, if you are looking for a custom piece at a fair price, they’re worth talking to.
If you love hunting for a bargain you should regularly check eBay. An incredible piece gets posted every once in a while. I’ve seen some great deals and there doesn’t seem to be much competition.
One quick tip: set yourself an alert on eBay. It’s really straightforward. You make your search, and then click the “Save Search” button:
Make sure the “Alert over email” box has a checkmark as seen in the photo. When a new item is posted you’ll receive an alert in your email. You can snag it before anyone else knows.