How To Buy Satoshi Tomizu’s Glass Galaxies
Countless fans of space art see Satoshi Tomizu’s work on facebook or his website and want one of his glass pendants. As soon as they start trying to buy one, they’re hit with a wave of frustration. It’s surprisingly hard to figure out pricing or make a purchase.
We’re here to help! If you read this article and decide it’s too hard to get Satoshi’s work you should consider the much easier process of buying one of our pieces: http://www.galaxyglasswork.com/product/fire-ice-pendant/
Satoshi Tomizu’s work is sold through a lottery system. There’s a huge demand for his space glass pendants and he can only make so many per month. To be fair to everyone, no matter how wealthy they are, his work is sold through a lottery at a set price. Pricing as of the writing of this article is based on opal types:
- Black Opal 34800 JPY (approximately USD$315)
- White Opal 34800 JPY (approximately USD$315)
- Crystal Opal 24800 JPY (approximately USD$225)
- No Opal 12800 JPY (approximately USD$115)
Making A Purchase
First follow the Plus Alpha facebook page and regularly check their website. You’ll find notifications for the date of Satoshi’s next sale. These happen approximately once every 1-2 months. After you see the announcement for a new sale, you’ll need to enter a lottery to make a purchase.
Plus Alpha Lottery
[disclosure: much of this information has already been covered by Tatiana on her blog Glass Universe, please see her page for a more detailed explanation of the process]
The URL for entering the lottery in English/USD is https://www.plusalpha-glass.net/index.html?tsuka_conv=USD&lang_id=en
The process is as follows [screenshot from plusalpha-glass.net]:
- When new glass pieces are posted you’ll see them on the bottom of the main lottery page (I’ve posted the link above).
- Click the pendant you’re interested in buying and you’ll be able to add your ticket to the lottery for that piece. This page will also show you how many other people have applied to purchase this piece.
- You can add a ticket to buy as many pendants as you’d like, but if you win the lottery for multiple pieces and don’t buy them, you’ll have a lower chance of winning in any future lotteries.
- Once you’ve added your lottery ticket you’ll need to fill in an extensive application form and list your preferred payment and shipping method. Once completed you’ll receive a confirmation email.
Approximately a week after entering the lottery you’ll be notified if you’ve won and can make your final payment. Items ship through Express Mail Service by Japan Post Service and will add an additional 2000 JPY or USD$18 to your final cost.
That’s it! The process is the same for everyone, which is totally fair, but can be a bit frustrating if you really want a piece right this moment.
Alternatives (Ebay, Etsy, and Us)
You can occasionally find Satoshi’s pieces being re-sold on ebay or etsy. But, be prepared to pay $1000+. Occasionally one of pieces comes up for $500-$600, but it’s not very common and they often aren’t the best examples of Satoshi’s work.
You can also explore similar glass artists. Here at Galaxy Glassworks John makes our beautiful hand crafted pendants with his own special style. They aren’t exactly the same, but we think they capture that same beautiful feeling of a tiny universe. http://www.galaxyglasswork.com/product/fire-ice-pendant/
You can also take a look at these similar artists who sell their art online: